Thursday, May 29, 2008

Accerate Your Learning Time


I went to the Singapore national library couple of days back and I was there in search of a method to accelerate my learning time. I was thinking how I can achieve more and yet with less time spent. Obviously, we all know that in order to pick up new skills, we need to learn the theoretical knowledge so that we feel secured, though not 100% feeling sure of success, to administer something in the physical reality rather than simply safe-keeping the knowledge we acquired in dungeons - never got the chance to see light.

In Singapore, we studied easily 18 years (2 years kindergarten, 6 years primary school, 4-5 years secondary school, 2-3 years in college or technical/engineering/business institute, 3-4 years in tertiary) before we start to make a living and make some contributions back to the society. So, since the education process is so important and lengthy (more than 22% of our living years spent in education, presuming we stay healthy to receive education till 80 years old), did we look into ways to shorten it without sacrificing the enjoyment and quality of life? Therefore to me, since I learn new things from books, reading mustn't be a chore but an enlightening event to be relished. This strived me in search for "Speed Reading" - the quest to increase the rates of reading yet without reducing the comprehension and retention.

Isn't that a great skill to acquire? Imagine now that you only read 15 books a year, because we always give the excuse that time is not enough. But how about doubling and reading 30 books a year? Great or great? I feel regretful to have not learned this method decade ago. I will tell you why later ...

So with proper training & practice in speed reading, we can usually double or triple our reading speed! There are even computer programs and software available that instruct students in speed reading programs to increase productivity. Eventually, I picked up a book from Tony Buzzan, titled "Use Your Head". I only zoomed down to the section on "Reading Faster and More Efficiently". There, I discovered things like reading problems, why such problems exist, eye movements, advantages of faster reading, false beliefs about reading, advanced reading techniques, practice and training. Whole lots of good stuffs and guess what, I noticed that I can easily read at least 20% or faster than ever before! Yet, I have only spent 20 minutes reading those knowledge & skills that I have just mentioned.


I simply belief this "truth" again -
The Knowledge of Tools. With little training on newly learned tool or skill, I can have 20% increased in reading rate. So, what if I am equipped with even more powerful tools or techniques? Results will surely soar! And of course we mustn't forget about being persistence and have sufficient practices.

Want a "Reading Test"?
Try this out to see where you stand. Just enjoy and have fun.
http://www.readingsoft.com/index.html

Live the life you want ...

T. Joseph Lee

http://evaluebook.com/
http://tinyurl.com/4jgr7r




No comments: